Is PayPal Safe? Buyer & Seller Guide
There’s plenty of reasons to use PayPal as a means of sending & recieving money online. After all, it’s very quick and easy to use. There are some vulnerabilites, however, so – is PayPal safe?
Making payments using PayPal is straight-forward and comes with very little threat. As with any reputable company, there are measures in place to protect your data (although in theory it could be breached).
If you’re using PayPal to receive money, however, there are also other risks to consider.
Is PayPal Safe for Buyers?
PayPal.com and PayPal apps are encrypted. This means that as long as you have a secure and genuine connection, any input is hidden. PayPal actually offer a reward to those that are able to point out vulnerabilities.
So really it’s down to you to keep your data safe. Here’s our tips:
- Make sure that your browser (or mobile application), operating system and anti-virus software is up-to-date.
- Don’t connect to open Wi-Fi networks such as ‘The Cloud‘ to make transactions or view your account.
- It seems obvious – but don’t use public computers such as in Libraries or Internet Cafés to make transactions or view your account.
- Avoid phishing scams. These usually come in the form of emails and appear to be coming from PayPal, but send you to a fake website that will extract your data.
Is PayPal Safe for Sellers?
Most businesses that use PayPal for receiving payments do so trouble free. However, there are certain things that can cause problems.
Disputed charges are the main issue. PayPal, as you’d expect, will assume that the customer is always right, so you need hard-evidence to plead your case as a seller.
This isn’t a PayPal specific issue, but they do to have a reputation for being hard to work with. To reduce the odds of being stung by thieves, there’s a few things you can do online to help you out.
- Verify addresses you’re going to send to with this Royal Mail tool.
- Use a courier service which provides online Proof-of-Delivery, like Parcelforce.
How else can you be safe online?
Figuring out how to stay safe online can be a daunting prospect even for home users – so we’ve created a guide for SMEs.
We also offer a service capable of monitoring of virtually any aspect of your server and other network objects. Read more about this service here or contact us on 0208 232 1190.