Tips & Tricks: How to stay safe online (SME Guide)
Use our Tips & Tricks to improve your efficiency! Our aim is to keep them relevant, concise & accurate.
Figuring out how to stay safe online can be a daunting prospect even for home users.
Unfortunately, small businesses are becoming bigger targets for cybercriminals. It’s assumed SMEs have fewer defense resources than large enterprises.
When considering how to stay safe online, you need to understand the associated risks with not doing so.
Research shows that 2/3 businesses depend on the internet for its day-to-day operations. It’s important to ask yourself:
- What data do you have access to?
- How do you store this data?
- Who else has access to this data?
- How do you protect this data?
How to stay safe online
Once you’ve assessed the risks, you then need to think about specific threats. There’s a few ways to give yourself the best chance of avoiding disasters:
- Healthy machine: Make sure you’ve got the latest antivirus, browsers and operating systems if possible.
- Be up to date: Most software will release updates occasionally. These can guard against vulnerabilities.
- Curiosity killed the cat: If you receive an email, tweet, facebook message or anything else with a suspicious looking link, don’t bother finding out what it is.
- Border control: Set up your anti-virus to scan anything being plugged in to your PC, such as USBs. If they carry infections, they can spread onto your machine.
It is also really important that when accounts are set up, secure passwords are used. You can follow our guide to choosing one here.
Server & Network Monitoring
Does your current provider tell you about issues that are about to happen? We do! We maintain an array of sophisticated diagnostic tools and employ certified engineers to monitor your network.
We check for failures, security issues, website load times, email delivery and other significant alerts. If you’d like to find out more information contact us or call 0208 232 1190.